National Union of Gramin Dak Sevaks
Central Head Quarters
Down Hill, Malappuram, Kerala- 676 519
All Divisional Secretaries
All Circle Secretaries
All CHQ Office Bearers
GDS Commission Recommendations.
Sri RS Natarajamurthi Committee submited its report to Shri A Raja (MOC) on 29.10.2008. Major recommendations of the committee would adversely affect the GDS employees. Therefore we strongly oppose the report. We have conveyed our strong protest to the Department of posts.
The major recommendations and the details of the second memorandum requesting amendments submitted by us are furnished below.
(1) Stamp sales should be managed by counter PA and depending the Franchisee
and Licenced stamp vendors.Unjustified GDS SV posts should not be filled.
(2) Avoid filling up of the GDS packer vacancies in LSG/HSG offices according
to the existing rules. Officials in ‘ Gr C’ cadre should be appointed in these posts.
(3) Divert the GDS posts from RMS Mail office and attach Gr D, part time staff in these posts.
(4) EDsos in rural/ Urban areas to be abolished.
(5) To Upgrade or close EDsos in urban areas. EDsos in rural area to be down graded as ED Bos.
(6) Distance covered to be taken as radial and distance by road should not be
concidered. To reorganise the office which do not satisfy the distance.
(7) The work load of GDS will contunice as per the existing point system with
the amendments suggested in cash handling , stamp sales.
(8) Time factor for RPLI premium to be equal to PLI
(9) To revise the work load of the BPM yearly and to revise the allownace on the basis of revised
(10) OMA to be revised as Rs.100/- Pm
(11) Condition of 10 KM for cycle maintence allowance to be discontinuied and to grant this allowance in all cycleable area.
(12) Boat alloance to be granted subject to a max of Rs.50/-pm.
(13) BPM to be given Rs 100/- including transportation charge for conveyance of cash to AO by BPM.
(14) FSC for BPM/GDSPM to be given Rs.25/- as FSC and Rs.10/- for GDS performing delivery work.
(15) Combined duty allowance to be revised as Rs.500/- Rs.250/- only for those performing either delivery work or mail conveyance.
(16) Rs.25/- to be granted daily for GDS MC/MD for doing the additional duties in other posts.
(17) Committee to be constitued for verification/cheking of TRCA
(18) Revised TRCA to be given effect from 01-01-06 and other suggestions (allowances etc ) to be implemented from the date of issue of orders.
(19) TRAC to be paid to Posb a/c
(20) Commission @ 1% to be granted for RD deposits also.
(21) Incentive for RPLI, whole life insurance, CWL policy to Rs. 250/- and for, EA , AEA, childrens policy Rs.400/-
(22) Exgratia @ Rs.1/2 months Basic allowance for every completed year of service subject to a
maximum of Rs.60000/-
(23) Eligibility for exgratia revised from 15 years service to 10 years service.
(24) Service Discharge Benefit
Govt would contribute Rs.200/- Pm towards the fund. Agencies like PLI would be entrusted with the work of handling the fund. This amount would be paid monthly to the GDS discharged from the service or to the spouse of GDS employee dying while in service.
(25) Welfare Scheme recommendations
1) Immediate relief on death Rs.8000/-
2) For Natural Calamities Rs. 750/-
(3) TB paitents for diets (admitted cases only) 200/-
(4) GDS including spouse admitted in Govt/ Private Hospital a combined Health insurance scheme to be introduced.
(5) Recommended financial assistance for GDS and spouse for Hospital treatment after
(26) For women GDS employees having minimum one year Service maternity allowance equal to 3 months TRCA from welfare fund, for the service first 2 children.
(27) 10 days half yearly paid leave to be 20 days paid leave per annum.
(28) All GDS employees should have proficiency in the regional language and should have studies regional language upto 8th standard.
(29) The provision the GDS BPM/GDS SPM should take residence to be made strict.
(30) Transfer to be restricted in the division for women employees, retrenched and employees rec-
ruted under compassionate grounds.
(31) Security to be revised to Rs.25000/- for GDS BPM / GDS SPM and Rs.10000/- for other GDS employees.
(32) Weightage to be given to candidates having 10+2 for GDS BPM /SPM Posts.
For compassionate appointment to these posts. No relaxation in the educational qualification. Re laxation to be given in other GDS posts only.
(33) GDS discharge age to be reduced to 62 from 65.
(34) Selection committee to be constituted for GDS appointment and to fill up the vacancies quarterly.
(35) For recognition of a second union the condition of 15% membership to be revised as 30000/-
1. Supply cell phone to Bos
2. To popularise Electctronic system to avoid delay in payment of Mo’s.
3. To introduce issue of NSC/KVP through selected Bos
4. To enhance the maximum single withdrawal from SB in Bos from 2000/- to 5000/-
5. To introduced Railway ticket booking through selected Bos.
37. To make available a table , three chairs, one form rack, one steel almirah a safe for keeping cash, one digital weighing scale, one leather cash bag and one Book of Bo Rules.
38. There is special mention about the responsibilities of Mail overseers regard ing.
Details of the second memorandam requesting amendments in GDS Committee and suggesting modifications.
MODIFICATIONS SOUGHT IN THE GDS COMMITTEE REPORT
1. Wage Structure
The Committee did not consider the established factor of pro-rata wages on par with the Departmental employees and scrapped all the relativities that were established by the previous Committees. The multiplication factor of 1.86 times given to the regular Govt. servants is not recommended, but recommened only 1.74 times. The Committee while agreeing enhancement of 5% TRCA in lieu of 50% merger did not take this 5% while fixing the basic allowance of the GDS employees. The Committee instead of taking the corresponding scale of P.A., Postman and Group D for BPM, EDDA and EDMC respectively, fixed the hourly rate based on the non existing and non improvised pay band of Group C for the GDS as detailed below which is irrational.
GDS Correspond Min. Basic Hourly Hourly rate Corresponding MiniCadre ing cadre of implemented rate recommended pay band and basic
Dept by the 6th based by GDS grade pay based based
CPC on 6th Committee on which hourly On pro-
CPC rate is fixed. rata wages
GDS Postal Asst. 9910 1321 915x3=2745 4860 + 2000 4230
GDS Postman 8460 1128 888x3=2664 4860 + 1800 3963
Cum Group 7000 933 765x3=2295 4440 + 1300 3499
While arriving at scales the Committee reduced the previous TRCA of GDS M.D and GDS Packer from 3.45 hours to in respect of BPMs the two scales already existing were split into five scales.
Benefit of 5% TRCA:
The Committee has recommended that the 5% TRCA granted in lieu of 50% DA merger to regular employees absorption in future increments. This 5% TRCA was enhanced by Finance and in fixation this may be added.
Pay Scales and working hours:-
i) The BPMs are now provided with new time factors for the new services like RPLI, B.D. Activities, etc. and it is pertinent to open the Branch Office for a minimum of 4 hours, and hence, it is requested minimum TRCA for BPM should be fixed for 4 hours. Some BPMs are working for more than 5 hours and hence TRCA up to 6 hours in necessary.
ii) The Department had already agreed the minimum pay scale (TRCA) for GDS employees – MC/Pkr/MD for 3 hours 45mts. There is no reason in reducing the present scale of 3 hrs. 45 mts. to 3 hrs. Almost all the GDS employees are working more than 3 hrs. 45mts. The existing policy of the Department is to implement combination of duties and hence there may be no GDS with the work load below 3 hrs. 45mts.
iii) The GDS Committee recommended only 3 scales beginning from 3 hrs. and finally for more than 3 hrs. 45mts. After the combination of duties, the work load of some GDS MD/Pkr/MC exceeds 5 hrs to 6 hrs. In the proposed pay scale, there is no scale after 3 hrs 45 mts. To compensate the excess work load, a scale after 4 hrs 45mts. Is necessary.
iv) There are GDS SPMs working for more than 5 hrs. in order to compensate them, second scale is necessary.
v) In fixing the working hours for GDS Packers, the presence that is required at the Departmental Office has also to be taken into consideration. Stamping of Bulk M. Os and bulk stamping on RD Pass Books may be entrusted officially to the GDS packer.
Increment (Annual Increase)
The GDS Committee has recommended annual increase ranging from 1.74% to 1.96% All the Departmental employees of all categories from Group D to higher posts without any discrimination, are getting incremental wage at the rate of 3% The same percentage of increment should be given to the GDS employees also.
Accordingly, the prorate wages should be as follows:
1. 3500 - 105 - 5600 for 3 hrs.45 mts (20 years)
2. 4440 - 135 - 7140 for 4 hrs.45 mts
3. 5370 - 165 - 8670 for 5hrs.45 mts.
1. 4230 - 130 - 6830 for 3 hrs.45 mts
2. 5360 - 165 - 8660 for 4 hrs 45 mts.
3. 6490 - 195 - 10390 for 5 hrs 45 mts.
1. 5280 - 160 - 8480 for 4 hours upto 100 points
2. 6600 - 200 - 10600 for 5 hrs upto 125 points
3. 7920 - 240 - 12720 for 6 hours upto 150 points.
Those BPMs who are working with more than 150 points should be compensated at the rate of Rs.50 per point.
1. 6600 - 200 - 10600 for 5 hrs.
2. 7900 - 240 - 12700 for 6 hrs.
The VIth CPC has recommended 40% hike as below:
Group D - Rs.1800
Postman - Rs. 2000
Postal Asst. - Rs.2400
The GDS employees may be given prorate hike as follows.
GDSMC/MP 1st Scale - Rs.900
2ndScale - Rs.1140
3rd Scale - Rs.1380
GDSMD/SV 1st Scale - Rs.1000
2nd Scale - Rs.1265
3rd Scale - Rs.1530
BPM 1st Scale - Rs.1200
2nd Scale - Rs.1520
3rd Scale - Rs.1840
GDSPM 1st Scale - Rs.1520
2nd Scale - Rs.1840
For every 2 increments accrued in the prerevised Scale, one bunching increment may be given.
Pay Fixation Formula
The following formula for Pay fixation may be adopted.
TRCA as on 01-01-2006 X1.86 + Fitment. The amount so arrived may be fixed to next stage with bunching increments if any.
The Departmental employees are provided with 3 promotions under ACP, The same promotional policy may be adopted to the GDS employees also. The department may consider two increments for every 10 years service in their existing TRCA, which means for 10 years 2 increments, for 20 years 2 more increments (total 4 increments) and for 30 years 2 more increments (total 6 increments)
The Committee recommended computations of new rural COL index for grant of DA to GDS employees. This is totally unscientific. No Pay Commission has recommended this type of discriminatory system for DA. The price index is the same in urban and rural areas and the cost of some of the essential commodities is more in rural areas. The GDS employees are working in rural, urban and semi –urban and Departmental employees also working in all these areas. This discriminatory recommendation may be summarily rejected.
Service Discharge Benefit Scheme (Pension )
For Departmental employees, minimum pension and also minimum Family Pension will be Rs. 3500. Under Service Discharge Benefit scheme (Pension) to the GDS employees, Minimum amount of pension and minimum Family Pension should be Rs. 1750/- and Rs.875/- respectively.
As per the Committee report, the average age of entry into GDS Service is in the range of 35 to 40 years. The committee recommended Rs.1500 for the completed year of service as Severance Amount and a maximum of Rs. 60000. But no GDS will get Rs. 60000 as the GDS on an average have the service of 22 years only, if the retirement age is taken as 62 and the average payment of severance amount is around Rs. 32500 only. The maximum limit of Rs. 60000 is to be raised to Rs.150000 and the Rs.1500 should be raised to Rs. 5000.
The Committee recommended exgratia gratuity to a maximum of Rs. 60000 or 16-1/2 months basic TRCA calculated at the rate of half a month’s TRCA for each completed year of Service. The Committee recommended basic TRCA of GDS ranging from Rs.2295 to Rs.4575, the average being Rs.3500+1500 incremental average and there is no rationale in fixing the maximum gratuity as Rs.60000. As per the Supreme Court Judgment full gratuity (which includes DA) has to be paid without any ceiling.
Productivity linked Bonus
Government of India after careful consideration decided to continue PLB in the present form. It is not understood why the GDS committee has reopened this. The ceiling is fixed and will be applicable only in the case of higher salaried people. The intention of putting this ceiling is not to curb the interests of the low paid employees. The GDS Committee also unreasonably recommended that exgratia Bonus for GDS may be calculated by limiting the average TRCA plus DA to 50% of the ceiling to lowest category of the Departmental employees. This is unfair and unrealistic. Their TRCA is already less then 50% compared with departmental employees, their counter parts. The Bonus Act and ceiling of Rs.3500/- does not refer to any actual monthly salary of any employee. The present formula applicable to the Departmental employees should apply to GDS also.
Promotion and Recruitment:
i) Upgradud Group D:- The Committee in Para No.17.26 recommended recruitment to the Group D through examination. This recommendation will deny the promotion to the existing senior GDS employees. This should be rejected.
ii) The Committee also recommended not to allow transfers to the multi-skilled Group C by modifying the existing Rule 38. There is no local character for employment to the departmental employees. This should be rejected.
iii) The Committee recommended modification of recruitment rules for postmen / Mailguard categories. 25 % of the vacancies from Group D with matriculation qualification and 50% of the outsider vacancies to GDS and 25% vacancies through outsiders. These recommendations will drastically reduce the promotion chances of GDS. Present recruitment rules should be continued without any modification.
The Department already is implementing limited transfer facility to the GDS employees under five categories . But the Committee restricted the transfer facility. The Honourable Minister of state in his open letter had committed that request transfer to GDS will be liberally considered. The commitment should be honoured and all request transfers should be considered with service benefit.
Medical insurance scheme for getting out patient and in patient treatment in private / Corporate hospitals may be intruduced the premiums may bebrone by the department The recommendation of the Committee that the insurance premiums may be contributed jointly by Government and this is not justified as the GDS is a law paid employee and hence the entire premiums should be borne by the Department.
Combination of duties
The Department is resorting to combination of duties as first preference in a large scale. Recommendations of the Committee are retrogate. The recruitment rules vary to each post. The BPM and GDSMD will undergo training for doing the skilled duties. These posts carry separate pay scales. Combining these posts with small remuneration is nothing but exploitation of labour. Hence we oppose the combination of duties. When this is resorted to for short periods, the average of the pay scale should be given.
The department already proposed to introduce computers and BPM is already paying electricity bills on commercial tariff in some states. The OMA recommended is very meager. The Honble MO (S) already committed to provide fan etc to the BOs. We therefore suggest OMA of Rs 200/plus payment of electricity charges by providing separate metre.
Mode of payment through Bank
The GDS are scattered in the rural areas where there are no banks. Now they are taking payment at their BOs. They have to travel to the bank place and lot of difficulties are involved. The MOF already suggested not to implement this to low paid employees. Moreover, the remittance of cash on the last working day (pay day) by account office to BOs cannot be avoided.
i) The accumulation of leave should be allowed without one year restriction to allow the GDS to avail paid leave in case of exigencies like sickness. Prorata casual leave should also be given for shorttime casualities.
ii) We request that female Gramin Dak sevaks to fulfill the role of maternity, may be paid 6 month paids leave on par with Departmental employees not from the wefare found but from the Government Exchequer. In GDS, there not many female gramin Dak Sevaks eligible for maternity leave. They are negligible. Let the Department honour this obligation with humanitarian out look.
Medical Insurance Scheme for getting out patient and in patient treatment in private Corporate Hospitals may be introduced and the premiums may be brone by the Department. The recommendation of the Committee that the
Committee set up to examine GDS Committee recommendation :
A Committee has been set up by government to examine implementation of the GDS committee report with Sri.P.K.Gopinath CPMG Delhi Circle ( Chairman) Sri. SK Chakravarthy CPMG NE Circle, Sri.K.Ramanujam PMG Chennai, Sri. K.K.Sharma DPS (HQ) Banglore, and Dr. Brijesh Singh Director PAI as members. The report of this committee is expected to be submitted to the Department by December 2008.
We have already submitted a second memorandum for consideration of the above said Committee on 24-11-08 ( Details already given ) The chairman has invited the federation and General Secretary for a discussion on 18-12-08.
We will not at any cost compromise with out long pending demands like Prorata Wages, Pension, Full gratuity, Maternity leave.
Besides mobilising the organisation machinery we are leaving no stone unturned to extert political pressure also in achieving our demands. A special convention was held in Khammam division in Andhra circle on 07-12-08. Smt Renuka Chowdhary Honble Minister for Social Welfare (state) inaugurated the convention. A memorandum was submitted to her under the leadership of our president Shri. G.Sathya Narayana Reddy in the convention. She has promised every help in achieving our legitimate demands.
I have started all movements to meet Sri. A K Antony Hon’ble Minister for defence, Smt Renuka Chowdari Honble Minister for social welfare Sri. A Raja Minis ter for communication, Sri Scindya Honble Minister of state for communication, Sri. E Ahamed Minister of State for external affairs , Sri. Vayalar Ravi, Minister of Parlimentary affairs and Sri. Rahul Gandhi General Secretary AICC, between 15th and 20th Dec.08. Effort is being made to meet Smt.Sonia Gandhi UPA Chairperson to apprise her of the plight of GDS employees.
We believe that strong political pressure from all corners are required if we are to achieve the basic demands of GDS employees .If all our efforts fail. We warn the authorities that FNPO will be second to none in the agitational programme.
GDS Committee report and FNPO strategy
(1) GDS Committee report was submitted to Minister Communications on 29-10-08.
(2) After a through study we assessed that the report would adversely affect the GDS employees.
(3) The matter was seriously discussed under the leadership of Sri.D.Theagarajan Secretary General.
(4) One Committee was formed under the chairmanship of Sri.P.K Gopinathan CPMG Delhi circle
(5) FNPO Submitted a memorandum to this committee on 24-11-08.
(6) Federation and GDS Union is invited for a discussion on the basis of this memorandum on 18-12-08.
Our further course of action will be decide after this meeting.
After submission of VI pay Commission report, a committee under the chairmanship of cabinet secretary was constituted and the said committee discussed various matter with service associations. It was through their discussions that the associations could convince the government about the right of the employees for increased benefits. It was through these discussions central Govt employees could get more benefits than recommended by VI pay panel. Like wise we expect increased benefits through the ensuing discussions on 18-12-08 and political pressure from all
corners. If no favaourable decsion is taken even after discussions and political pressure we will have to resort to agitational programmes.
( The relevent portions of the GDS committee report and memorandum sub mitted to Gopinath Committee have already be circulated to the circle unions ) .
GDS Committee reports and the Strategy
of NEPE/NFPEGDS Union
1. NFPE GDS union has not submitted any memorandum or begun any discus sions till the expiry of seven Months of setting up of the GDS Committee which had to submit its report with in 12 months.
2. They co-operated only when there were 2 months to expire the term the committee.
3. When the term of the committee was extended by three months the NFPE GDS union which did not cooperate with the committee for 7 months opposed the extension of term of the committee.
4. When the GDS Committee report was submitted to the Minister on 29-10-08 NFPE started mal propogation that the report has been accepted by the Govt and demanded for a new commission rejecting the report of Nataraja Murthy Committee.
5. They set fire to the Nataraja Murthy Committee report to gather support for their strategy that they do not approve the recommendation of the committee.
6. They submitted their second memorandum after strong pressure from NFPE GDS members
7. NFPE GDS union served stricke notice on 02-12-08 to stricke work from 17-12-08 without consulting NFPE federation or other unions / Federations.
8. At the same NFPE All India convention was heldin Guntur in AP Circle and the constituent unions of P III , PIV R III, R IV of NFPE decided to serve strike notice on 19/12/08 to stricke work from 6th January 09. That is NEPE GDS union only strike work on 17/12/08. The other unions in NFPE Keep away from their strike. The Gopinath Committee invites the unions for discussion on 18/12/08 in advance. All NFPE unions except NFPE GDS union serve strike notice on 19/12/08 ie NPPE GDS union Strike work on 17/12/08 and other unions strike work after 21 day.It is evident that NFPE is not ready to co-operate with each other for the upliftment of GDS employees. But at the same time they shed corcodile tears in the name of GDS employees . We have to educate the GDS employ ees about this state of affairs.
The stand of FNPO and NUGDS are transparent. We try to settle the issues through negotiations and legitimate ways. If the authorities are not ready to take a positive stand we will have to paralyse the department by strking work under the leadership of FNPO.
We have to gear up the union machinery and educate the rank and file to face any eventuality. Other unions may try to creat confusion and anti worker propogation. Divisional committees have to contact the circle union and the circle union in turn may contact CHQ in case of any doubt.
The phone numbers of all General Secretaries and wide circle secretaries are furnished below for information.
With Warm New Year Greetings.
Cell Numbers of S/G and GS’S
D.Theagarajan Secretary General,FNPO 09444841440
P.U.Muraleedharan G/S. NUGDS 09446436592
D.Kishan Rao G/S. NUPE Group C 09440065675
T,N,Rahate G/S. P IV 09869121277
O.P. Khanna G/S. Admn 011 26181306
S.P.Kulkarni G/S SBCO 09767687485
S.Sidiki G/S R IV 09415424116
Cell Numbers of Circle Secretaries of NUGDS and Group C
Andra Pradesh G.Sathya Narayana Reddy (All India President) 9908350190
Karnataka M.P.Chitrsena 9448742049
Bihar Ram Nandan Singh 9431672133
J&K Majeed Dhar 9419773999
J&K G.M.Wani (Group C) 9419022132
Rajasthan Madanlal Sharma 9784148061
Tamilnadu Kothanda Raman 9442253663
Himacal Pradesh Mohamtal Guptha 9816462840
Gujarath J.B. Pandya 9427058280
Orissa Gowtham Das 9938358793
West Bengal Renjit Sarcar 9474409937
UP CS P III 9415534528
Hariyana CS P III 9992020001
MP CS P III 9826768326
Jharkand CS P III 9430319460
North East CS P III 9862630735